Cheers Jack and Michael,

Apologies, Jack, for my typo - yes I meant UIDE instead. Thank you for
your clarification on its caching operation, and I look forward to
testing it on a pet project “when my boat comes in”.  (Actually, maybe
FreeDOS users could justifiably consider themselves as “Frugal Kings”
rather than “Charlie Poor-Boys”??) Fingers crossed that I won’t need a
BIOS patching for the Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS’s - I’ve not yet
spotted a motherboard I recognise on the FreeBIOS lists (or whatever
they are called now) and patching sounds a bit drastic for my expertise
level.

Thanks Michael for the heads-up on DOM technology - it had completely
missed my radar and after a bit of research I agree with your advise
entirely to go with that rather than SDcard/CFcard+IDE adapter, and
probably better value over the life of the unit. Looking at various
product specs a DOM would probably outlive the laptops I have in mind
for them - but any surviving components will just be added to the next
candidate to rescue from landfill,
Many Thanks

Andrew Robins

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:39 PM, "Jack"
<gykazequ...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> > I anticipate replacing the dying and clunky old hard-drives for SD
> > cards on a 44-pin IDE adapter for better performance and improved
> > efficiency.   I imagine that the recent improvements with FreeDOS'
> > EIDE would facilitate a hardware upgrade like that - am I
> > understanding that correctly, please?
>
> I am the author of the UIDE disk/CD/DVD caching driver, and I assume
> your reference to "EIDE" is in fact addressing the UIDE driver.
>
> I have not tested UIDE with "SSD" disks, nor has anyone commented on
> such testing.   FreeDOS users are often "Charlie Poor-Boys" with not
> enough extra money for such "luxury" equipment.   The best I can say
> is that you should "test" UIDE on your systems using SSD disks.   If
> they "respond" the same as normal hard-disks, including all PCI init
> functions, UIDE should "pick them up" and run them O.K.
>
> If not, only a minor loss, as SSD disks are so fast that they really
> should not need caching.   You can then run UIDE with its /N1 switch
> which causes it to ignore hard-disks but continue to cache diskettes
> and CD/DVD drives.   They need caching, for they are otherwise SLOW!
>
> Jack R. Ellis

                          unladen european swallow