Op 26-1-2012 20:12, Michael schreef:

> I'm already somewhat familiar with syslinux, but the commands I use must run
> from FreeDos, does syslinux let me do that?

Only in the form of workarounds. The MEMDISK module allows to specify a
commandline, just as in GNU/Linux distributions. Syslinux contains a
MDISKCHK program to retrieve these parameters. The output of thus
program can be redirected to a batchfile which then can be
executed/called to add these parameters to the DOS environment.

The requirement of using MEMDISK and a (floppy)disk image is annoying
though, so you might want to stick to batchfiles instead.

Above described method is implemented in the FDBOOT.IMG floppy image
file inside the FreeDOS 1.1 CD-ROM distribution. Maybe also in UBCD
(Ultimate BootCD) project.

Additionally some custom versions of FreeDOS kernel 2040 can read
MEMDISK parameters. That way you can supply your own lines for
config.sys. It's done by the FD={yourlinehere}{and-so-on} parameter.

One example for it would be:

# test1
label test1
linux memdisk
initrd fdboot.img
append FD={SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P=TEST1.BAT}

# test2
label test2
linux memdisk
initrd fdboot.img
append FD={SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P=TEST2.BAT}

FreeDOS bootCD has something like this in isolinux.cfg file:
# experiment with USB
label usb
linux memdisk
initrd=fdboot.img
append USB=U

while autoexec.bat has something like:

@echo off
rem load ramdisk to redirect output to file
devload tdsk.exe
tdsk 100
rem get memdisk parameters
mdiskchk -b > R:\ARGS.BAT