Hi,

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>2012/4/6, Alex <alxm...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > Just to be clear, which is the best Pascal version available to date
>> > for FreeDOS?
>
> Well, I don't know...
> I used 3.02 on DOS for a long time, [xyz] would be clear
> advantages over 3.0. And it was still relatively small.
> That's why I would rather say that Turbo Pascal 5.5 is the "best"
> version available...

If you need Pascal and 16-bit, it's probably your best bet, freeware
(but can't redistribute). Though perhaps p2c "mostly" supports 16-bit
output too, last I checked, but I haven't kicked the tires on that
much.

3.0 was .COM output only and had bigger output sizes. TP55 was .EXE
only (hence support for bigger than 64k output) and had a smart linker
(to not add unused parts) plus separate compilation via units, better
support for overlays, and official OOP support (though no inline asm).
So yeah, for DOS, 5.5 is currently the best freely available version.

However, FPC is probably a better choice if you want portability, esp.
for any more modern OSes (i.e. small static compiles ftw!). Yet GPC
has better support for dialects, esp. standards (though not Delphi,
that's FPC's bread and butter).

For purists and academic curiosity, you can also compile P5 with GPC.
It's only ISO 7185 ("classic Wirth Pascal") via bytecode interpreter,
but it's full, based upon P4 (which is well-documented, even online),
public domain, and should work "mostly" great. It hasn't been updated
in a year, though, and I've not run his test suite on it fully, but it
should work. One of these days I'll upload it to iBiblio, or just grab
it from Scott Moore's website. (But keep in mind that it's obvious
that most Pascal users prefer TP extensions over the original.)