On 4/11/2012 1:25 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Michael B. Brutman
> <mbbrut...@brutman.com>  wrote:
>> For hard-core application programming where you need to use a few BIOS
>> and DOS interrupts I like to use C and C++ (carefully).  C gives you a
>> tremendous amount of control and flexibility.
>>
>> Open Watcom is open source and is regularly updated, but it is loosing
>> critical mass.  It seems to be a fairly well kept secret, which I don't
>> understand.
> OpenWatcom is awesome, but ...
>
> 1). It's only OSI approved, not FSF approved. (Yeah, I know.)
> 2). No shared library support on GNU/Linux.
> 3). 32-bit max. only, no 64-bit (except unfinished Alpha support).
> 4). incomplete C99, a fair bit less than latest GCC
> 5). slightly less target optimizations (but still good)
>
> So that's my guess why more people don't use it.

1) No comment.

2) If you are programming for GNU/Linux, using OpenWatcom is insane when
you have GCC/GLIBC available.  We are talking about DOS here, right?
Not being able to support shared libraries on GNU/Linux is not a concern.

3) The ability to generate 16 and 32 bit code for DOS is what is
relevant for FreeDOS.  If somebody needs 64 bit registers and pointers
then it's probably time to migrate to a 64 bit OS.

4) The latest GCC doesn't generate code for 16/32 bit DOS.

> As for "loosing critical mass", it's not dead yet, though Google
> Groups isn't letting people post to the OpenWatcom groups anymore (too
> much spam??), so you have to use something else (e.g. Opera and
> connect directly to news.openwatcom.org or use Eternal September,
> aioeu, etc).

Having their own news server is a plus - you are not bound by what
newsgroups your ISP wants to carry, if they carry anything at all.

> There supposedly will be a 2.0 release later this year, but the
> maintainer (Peter Chapin) has been busy with other things (work?),
> hence the delay from last time (1.9, approx. 2 years ago).

Peter is stepping down as the project maintainer.  He's been very busy
apparently ...

Mike