I have not posted on this forum in almost 5 months due to the
rather VICIOUS attacks on me by Bret Johnson, Ralf Quint, and
Tom Ehlert re: diskette detection in the UIDE drivers.

However, this post has now become necessary.

Shown below is an E-Mail which I received early this morning,
 from Christian Pfaller of Germany (forwarded by Johnson Lam).

Pfaller's problem is most likely a direct result of the logic
I added with the 29-May-2012 UIDE, which tests for up to four
diskettes using BIOS calls, instead of testing for only 2 via
directly checking the BIOS diskette-flags byte.   That change
was made by me "under duress", i.e. by the above damn FleaDOS
"pundits" INSISTING I obey the Ralf Brown lists and issue the
BIOS calls, so damn "VirtualBox" could be run without its OWN
diskette-detection problems getting CORRECTED!!

Pfaller indicates the last UIDE version which worked with his
LS120 drives was 20-May-2012, the version BEFORE I put in the
diskette BIOS calls.

I shall immediately PUT BACK the diskette test logic from the
20-May-2012 UIDE into the current UHDD/UIDE drivers.    After
appropriate checking by me, Johnson, and Christian Pfaller, I
shall release an updated set of drivers on Johnson's website.

Eric, if your "VBOXFIX" program is still available, you might
want to re-issue it, with its specific logic to test the bits
in the BIOS diskette flag byte for the presence of diskettes,
when "VirtualBox" is used.   I intend to use that byte again,
and NOT use BIOS calls to check for diskettes!   You may also
want to INSIST that the "VirtualBox" emulator fools FIX their
diskette-detection logic to post the BIOS diskette-flags byte
properly, which would have AVOIDED all of this mess!

Now, I will again "unsubscribe" from FD-User.   And I hope NO
ONE expects me to listen to any of its "pundits" ever again!!

Jack R. Ellis