I'm not inclined to bash XP too much. Windoze ME was the Vista of its time.
You know what I'm talking about.

If Linux had someone doing marketing -- and bundling it with new PCs --
that's what everyone would be running today. Don't get me started.  :^)

Bruce

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM, bruce.bowman tds.net
> <bruce.bow...@tds.net> wrote:
> > I've not written or edited a lot of files using the command line in XP
> but
> > it seems to be able to read and write to any supported file system
> without
> > problems. Hard to say exactly what is handling that but I seriously doubt
> > I'll be calling any interrupts in my batch program.  :^)
>
> I know, but it's important to know (barely). Win2000 was the first
> NT-based OS to support FAT32 and the Win9x LFN API (int 21h, 71xxh).
> NT 4.0 (1996) didn't. So my point is that XP (based upon 2000 but for
> now also for home users) was hacked together somewhat roughly to
> replace WinME, and after a while, MS stopped caring about fixing bugs.
> So we're left with buggy and incomplete DOS emulation in some ways.
> :-/

 Sent from my meager, humble desktop computer.