On 02/09/2013 04:43 AM, Rugxulo wrote:
Hi Rugxulo,
Thanks for the tips. The initial problem was the GPT partition table
which I have now found is a common one. Because FREEDOS tries to write
an MSDOS partition table, this apparently corrupts the GPT table and
things don't work correctly. I finally seem to have succeeded by:

1) writing an MSDOS partition table from Linux with the "parted" program
        512MB FAT16
        the rest ext2

2) installing FREEDOS, dropping out to the command prompt and doing
"fdisk /mbr"

3) installing Fedora 14 (I know it's old, I'll upgrade) and manually
adding DOS to the boot list during installation.

I am not sure that this couldn't have been done with the original
partition table, but I am _not_ going back to find out. Now to get KDE
going as the window manager in Linux (Why don't we have the choice any
more?)

The reason for all this is that I write DOS programs for human
performance testing where I take over interrupts and timers in order to
get decent response timing and you just can't do that in a DOS box.

Jim