On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I prefer to just make a 7z archive, instead of a bz2'd tar file.  The
>> latter requires you to uncompress the tar file then extract it.  What
>> if you just want one file in the archive?  And 7z archives made with
>> max compression are comparable in size to bz2 files.

<...>

> The main problem is that everyone's needs are different, so there are
> many competing archiving formats, even using same LZMA compression
> method (although both LZMA and LZMA2 exist nowadays), e.g XZ or Lzip.
> By default, .7z files don't preserve *nix permissions, so they don't
> usually use that there, usually .tar.lz or .tar.xz :

The problem with tar.<whatever> files is you must first uncompress the
tar file, then extract what you want (and possibly then remove the
uncompressed tar file.)  I ran into that with Puppy Linux, where one
of the Puppy forum folks had created a ginormous tar,bz2 file of
libraries built for Puppy, to help resolve dependency problems when
the app you installed wanted a library you didn't have.  I didn't have
enough space in the file system to uncompress and then extract.  I
converted it to a 7zip archive where I could open it and extract the
libraries I needed without  having to first decompress the entire tar
file.  I could always adjust permissions after the file was in place
if that was needed.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519