Hi,

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Miguel Garza <garz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got my programs in subdirectories of C:\APPS, and whenever I add a new
> program, I have to add its path to autoexec.bat like so:
>
> set PATH=.;c:\;\LOCALE;\APPS;[all the other paths to the other programs in
> the APPS folder];\APPS\NEWPROG
>
> But now FDOS is telling me my PATH is too long and PATH isn't working. So I
> took some of the paths off the end that I just added, and now PATH is
> parsed. But is there any way I can have more paths in my PATH?

AFAIK, the %PATH% can (normally) only be 128 bytes or less. This is
also part of the overall environment limit (but what is default for
FreeCOM, /E:256 ??). There are possible partial workarounds that
extend it to 255 or such (e.g. 4DOS or Win9x via %CMDLINE%), I think,
but I've never messed with them much, so I don't know the details.
Other OSes have similar cmdline limits (e.g. 1000 or 8000, dunno) but
hide it better. DJGPP just uses response files (esp. behind the
scenes) to get approx. 12000 since so many Linux progs assume
virtually unlimited and try to cram too much raw info there (IMO).

Anyways, what nobody mentioned so far is SUBST, which is "probably"
the solution you're looking for. But again, like they said, you really
shouldn't have a hard need for literally everything in your %PATH%,
only those that you use often. In fact, it's best to keep it fairly
minimal by default in order to avoid clashes with similarly-named (but
functionally different) utils. As mentioned, using .BATs to
temporarily enable and disable various setups is a better way.

http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/swsubst.htm