Hi Karen,

> Why are you writing me privately for a list discussion?

Because I had asked several times without getting an
answer, so I assumed you might want to keep those
details off-list.

> Not sure why these would be plain text either,  they are wordperfect 6.0,
> actually, or why it impacts my use of Norton utilities 8.0 edition of unerase.

Wordperfect files according to the "file" tool start
with the byte sequence ff 57 50 53 c4 05, in other
words the byte ff, then the text WPC, then the two
bytes c4 05. This information can help you to find
the start of a deleted wordperfect file even when
undelete cannot find the deleted directory entry of
the file any more: Disk editors typically have some
function to search the raw disk for contents. Also,
you know that the sequence must be at the start of
a cluster to be a match. Note that this is about
current WordPerfect versions: You have to check on
your own computer if files made by your version do
start the same. According to some notes from 2001,
the textual part of WordPerfect files is visible if
you look at the file with a text editor, mixed with
binary markup data. In other words, you should be
able to recognize whether a certain cluster can be
part of your to-be-recovered file. Of course all of
this is quite tedious, so you typically try how far
you can get with automated tools first...

> let's focus on what I am asking, since  we may get to the goal this way.
> plain text lol.

Sure. Keep us updated about your progress. If you
can avoid writing to your disk for a while, the
best way is to work slowly and carefully, maybe
waiting until you are in position to get a disk
image. Once you have a disk image stored in some
foolproof way, you can start working on the real
disk again. Because then you can work on recovery
of the two files at any later moment, using that
image file and no longer have to worry about work
with the real disk causing further damage.

Regards, Eric