Hi,

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Robert Moler <rbmo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I was delighted to discover FreeDos, because I have an old Music DOS
> data base that I've been using since 1986.  It runs in XP but not in Win
> 7.  So I loaded the virtual box and then FreeDos. except that it never
> finished loading after reaching the point in the instructions (End of
> Chapter Five)  where there is the warning about UIDE taking a long time
> to load.
>
> I get the line
>
> Kernel:  allocated 46 Diskbuffers + 24472 Bytes in HMA
>
> It had not changed in 45 minutes or even over night when I started over
> and got the same result.
>
> Any suggestions?

VirtualBox is overkill, but if you have VT-X, enable it (if not already).

Try running DOSBox (emulator, see http://www.dosbox.com ). Normally
it's only for games, but since you say you've been using it since
1986, it shouldn't be too complex a program.

Otherwise, dunno, try using RUFUS to install FreeDOS to (empty!) USB
stick, and see if it runs natively there (cold boot). If even that
doesn't work, I dunno.

(I'm hesitant to recommend installing Linux under VBox just for DOSEMU.)

P.S. Latest UIDE is
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/ellis/drivers-2013-11-21.zip
(but you may have to enable networking in FreeDOS under VBox to grab
that directly, e.g. use "ftp ftp.ibiblio..." instead). See
http://lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/ .