Hi Robert,

as far as I remember, XT machines are 16 bit, so Ubuntu
cannot run on that processor and on that amount of RAM.
Regarding FreeDOS, I am not sure whether you tried to
install it from the USB stick to the USB stick or to
the harddisk of the computer: Some BIOSes make sticks
look as if they were harddisks... For older computers,
I would recommend to use boot floppy images to make a
boot floppy. What exactly was the situation in the 3rd
attempt, when Virtual Box was hanging? As far as the
graphics card is concerned, any VGA card should be ok
but I am not sure whether older cards are, as there
might be "graphical" steps during installation. The
floppy way again is more suitable for older hardware.

Partitioning / formatting are among the steps where
things can go wrong (see USB stick thing above) as
are modern drivers (USB, UIDE, network, graphics and
memory extensions a la EMM386 or HIMEM). For those,
you may have to manually edit autoexec or config to
adjust for very old or very new computers. I assume
working directly from floppy / USB can avoid some of
the driver issues. In particular if you can skip the
driver load step at boot. Of course performance etc
would be better once installed to harddisk, but for
some tasks, it might just not be worth the effort.

Regards, Eric