On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> After a fresh install of FreeDos, I found turbo c 2.01 is terribly slow to
>> run.
>
> That depends on what you mean by Turbo C. The IDE (editor) of it?
> Compiler? Some program written in Turbo C? What kind of program?

I meant the Turbo C IDE was slow with FDAPM.

>> even the speed of scrolling the screen is unacceptable. However,
>> when I unloaded FDAPM, turbo c became normal.
>>
>> Is there any work around? Is it a bug in Turbo C or in FDAPM?
>
> Which other drivers do you have loaded and what type of hardware
> is this? Do you also use Do you also use the FreeDOS kernel power
> saving function IDLEHALT at the same time? With which settings?

I tested it with VirtualBox, qemu and a desktop PC, all have the same
symptom. And I didn't know about IDLEHALT,  after a quick web search,
I think I didn't active it.

> If "FDAPM APMDOS" puts the CPU on idle too often, slowing down
> your programs, try "FDAPM ADV:REG" or "FDAPM ADV:MIN" instead.
> The default setting is equivalent to "FDAPM ADV:MAX" there. You
> can see the current setting with "FDAPM STATS" :-) Of course in
> the MIN setting, less energy is saved. REG is a good compromise.

Thanks for all the information.  "FDAPM ADV:REG" did the trick for me.
maybe it's a better default setting than "FDAPM APMDOS".

> Regards, Eric

Pluto