You need PCMCIA socket services and card services.
These load before the network card drivers.

Most computers used SystemSoft CardSoft 3.1 for that, but your Toshiba Tecra
8000 uses a "Toshiba ToPIC-95B" PCMCIA controller which isn't supported by that
version of CardSoft.

There is a Toshiba Card Manager 3.0 at
http://driverzone.com/drivers/toshiba/control/ as pcmcia30.zip.
It appears to be a rebranded PhoenixCard Manager, so if that version doesn't
work you may be able to find a later version of PhoenixCard Manager.

One that will work for sure (but it isn't free) is CardWare 7.00 from APSoft at
http://www.tssc.de
A free 14-day trial is available.

 - - Shane