Thanks Chris, others.
The kid is actually now investigating just using the dos command shell
under windows 7 for the job.  I have no idea how complete that shell is, I
do not use windows.  still it may be simpler than either an emulator or a
completely different dos animal. He is doing a code writing assignment for
school, not really learning to use dos.
Also I am told he does have a working cd /DVD drive in that laptop, so
just burning the image to that format should he try freedos  would  work
too.
  Kare