Hi Eric,

The VESA audio is nice (on paper), I didn't know about it. But I
understand it is an INT API, so it would require to have some kind of a
TSR that sits in memory all the time, and responds to such INT calls.

The QV approach (if I got it right) seems to be about providing some
kind of external files (*.SDR) that are used directly by the main
program. I have no idea how it works under the hood, since there is no
source code nor public API available online, but the basic principles
looks sexy to me.

Now, let's imagine that FreeDOS would come with *.SDR files stored in
%FDOS%/drivers/sound, the location of the sound driver might even be
advertised by a specific env variable (say, SDRDRV) - then, any
SDR-aware program would only need to check the SDRDRV variable, and use
some kind of (yet to be determined) API to hook on the target driver
file. A little bit similar to how FreeDOS manages translation files.

The basic idea is that since apparently there are still people investing
time and effort into developing sound drivers for DOS (QV, MPXPLAY...),
it would be great to somehow make this reusable for other projects.

But again, I have no idea how QV uses these SDR files in the first
place. Does anyone here have any idea how these SDR file work?

cheers,
Mateusz