On 12/14/2014 4:26 AM, Marcos Favero Florence de Barros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether one of the reasons why old computers
> fail is that the BIOS gets corrupted over time because it is
> stored in rewritable media.

BIOS is for quite a wile in a FlashROM type of memory, which is only
re-writeable in a special write mode, which is only done very rarely,
when in fact you are "flashing" the BIOS. And it is very unlikely that
this will get corrupted easily. You might confuse this withe the CMOS
RAM, which is used by the BIOS to hold (and easier change/write to) user
changable values. But even then, this isn't likely to get corrupt,
unless you have some rogue programs that are accessing it constantly.

If you have external peripherals fail as you mentioned, it is rather due
to possibly bad settings (the least likely but not impossible option) or
IMHO more likely, to connectors or peripheral circuitry going bad...

Ralf

---