On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Don Flowers <donr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm trying to think of what I might store there using DOS that would *need*
>> more space, and can't think of anything.
>
> Ha - I had 14gb allocated on my Compaq Armada 1750 and ran out of space
> after discovering that it plays "tunes" (via MPXPlay) better than any laptop
> I've ever owned, so it has become quite the media machine, but even before
> that I had 4gb consumed  by  regular DOS and W31 programs.

Oh, I can see W31 and programs eating the space.

But depending on my setup, I generally don't store big stuff like
media files on my boot drive.  That's for OS and applications.  Data
lives somewhere else.

I assume MPXPlay, as a DOS program, needs to see media it plays on a
FAT file system.

As mentioned, on the machine FreeDOS is installed on, I have multiple
partitions and file systems.  When I set it up to begin with, I
assumed FreeDOS would use FAT16 and have the 2GB volume size limit in
consequence, so that determined the partition size.  The stuff I do
under FreeDOS *doesn't* take a lot of space.  Media files, like audio
and video, are handled by Windows or Linux viewers, and live
elsewhere.  I *could* redo the setup on the FreeDOS box to allocate a
larger FAT32  partition, but have no need to.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519