On 6/7/2015 7:46 PM, Eric Auer wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>> Though I cited Edit, and the mode suggestion might improve that, I
>> imagine that the improvement would be lost if I started a game or
>> anything else that runs in a graphical mode.
> As long as the game lets you make a CHOICE between several resolutions,
> you will again have the possibility to select ANY resolution that does
> look nice when zoomed to the native resolution of your LCD screen :-)
>
>> In the meantime, I found this very dense thread on vogons.org:
>> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18933
> Well that is mostly about REFRESH rates - which makes a difference in
> CRT screens because of the flicker. But for LCD, you do not have that
> issue anyway. On LCD, faster refresh rate only means faster reaction
> times, which is sometimes nice for fast games. Also, when watching a
> video, it is good if the refresh rate is a multiple of the frame rate
> of the video (e.g. 25 frames per second video & 50, 75, 100 Hz screen
> refresh rate instead of 60, while 30 fps video looks better on 60 Hz).
>
> Again, regarding the zoom issue, LCD screens differ in the quality in
> which they manage to make odd RESOLUTIONS look smooth. Assuming that
> your screen has 1920x1080 native resolution, which is common today,
> 640 width should zoom fine. On 1920x1200 screens, 640x400 should look
> quite nice. As there are no popular 640x360 DOS text resolutions, you
> could use 640x350 on your 1920x1080 screen as long as you can select
> aspect ration preserving zoom. In other words, you should simply let
> the screen put black bars on top and bottom and let it zoom 640x350
> to 1920x1050. Each DOS pixel will then be 3x3 screen pixels, which is
> an integer size, thereby avoiding zoom artifacts.
>
> You could also try to reach 1280x1024 if you can tell your screen to
> NOT do any zooming: This will have small black bars on top and bottom
> but unfortunately the bars on the left and right will be quite large.
> Using that with a text font is probably 160x64 chars at 8x16 font...
>
> For 1920x1200 screens, an obvious choice could be 1600x1200. Outside
> of text modes (which look okay in wide screen) most DOS games will be
> limited to 4:3 aspect ratio graphics resolutions, so you might often
> have to live with wide empty bars on the left and right. But that is
> still better than distorting everything if you would select stretch-
> to-fill-whole-screen for such modes. Note that 320x200 might actually
> look good when stretched to 16:9 AND it is again zoom friendly using
> 4x4 screen pixels for each DOS game pixel on 1920x1200 screens :-)
>
> As you see, 16:10 screens (1920x1200) are simply cooler than 16:9 ones
> (1920x1080) even though the latter are better for watching videos ;-)
>
> Long story short, try 640x400, 640x350, 320x200, 1280x1024, 1600x1200,
> depending on which screen you have and what your games and editors do
> support. It sometimes takes some playing with the possibilities to get
> [...]

Thanks, Eric, for jump-starting my thinking.  Some related old DOS
knowledge slowly bubbled to the surface ...

I noticed the problem in text mode on an older LCD screen with classic
4:3 aspect ratio.  As you noted in your first reply, an 80x25 text mode
with 9x16 fonts would require a 720x400 pixel array, which the LCD
monitor displays poorly.

(But I see now that I should retract the proposition that an old game
will likely look bad on that, since 320x240 or even a 320x200 resolution
should zoom nicely enough under that ratio.)

It seems that "mode con lines=34" should display text mode nicely on the
4:3 LCD.  And reading up on MODE, I saw that 34 lines requires VESA
support.  This vintage setup has a circa 1991 16-bit ISA video card,
manufacturer unknown, but based on an Oak OTI-087 chipset.  It has a
jumper to select VESA support, but support must be faulty or incomplete,
since "mode con lines=34" returns "No VESA ..."

To fix that I suppose I would need to come up with a Vesa driver for the
card, and would welcome any suggestions.