Hi,

Keep in mind that I'm not very savvy about networking, so this is just
links (no pun intended!) to various things!

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 7:00 PM, John Hupp <free...@prpcompany.com> wrote:

> I installed Arachne on the current rig (Pentium 150, 64MB) and found
> that Google search returns a blank page, and DuckDuckGo produces some sort of
> loop.
> I found a post or two on Vogons.org noting the same.

I don't know. Presumably Google is just pushing (too) hard these days
for everything to be HTTPS/SSL + Javascript and similar (which Arachne
doesn't support, IIRC). Heck, even YouTube and Gmail (partially) whine
about Iceweasel 22.0, which (AFAIK) is barely two years old.

> Ready to settle for the speed and stability of text mode, I turned next
> to Lynx, but I couldn't seem to get a good download of Lynx 2.8.7.

I've not tried it, but iBiblio has this:

1). http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/lynx/2.8.7/

There's also a newer 2.8.8 build by Juan for DJGPP (under
/beta/v2tk/), but it sounds very complicated to setup, so I never
bothered.

2). https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.msdos.djgpp/flY264GkHV8

> So I tried Dillo, which is graphical.  Though it thrashes the hard drive
> a fair amount, it did work in a quick checkout.  This was v3.02b from
> http://nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos.googlecode.com/files/DILLODOS-302b.zip,
> written by Georg Potthast.

It's also available here:

3).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk-dos/files/Applications/Binary%20versions%20of%20FLTK%20applications/

You could also try D+ (which evolved from Dillo-Win32, which I think
was loosely based upon Georg's work as well):

4). http://sourceforge.net/projects/dplus-browser/files/Releases/dplus-0.5b/

> Perhaps someone here will have more to say on the topic of web browsers.

One of the better choices these days would be Links2:

5). http://links.twibright.com/
6). http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/links/
7). http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=14199

IIRC, the "lite" .EXE lacks both HTTPS/SSL and graphical support,
unlike the full version.