On 29/06/2015 01:07, Eric Auer wrote:
> So I can imagine that Doom uses a really old version of dos/4gw,
> which is even more likely to have issues with "too much RAM" ;-)

That's very possible, yes. Ultimate Doom doesn't come with a DOS4GW.EXE
file at all, it is embedded inside DOOM.EXE already. The DOS4GW version
appears very briefly on the screen when Doom starts - it is the v1.95.

> That sounds as if it is in any case limited to XMS 2.

As pointed out by TJ, Doom in fact do not require XMS at all. I can only
guess that it uses some call to XMS to have an idea of what area of
memory is free, and then use that memory directly.

> Have you made
> some comparisons between XMS-only and EMM386-style behaviour of DOOM?

No, I don't use 8086 mode at all (no EMM*).

> I repeat my advice of using DOS32A instead of working around DOS/4G.

The software is not "broken", so it doesn't need to be fixed. One only
need to be aware that some programs expect free memory to be available
in the first few megs of RAM, and configure his "modern" system to
provide available memory in such place (which I did by limiting
LBACACHE's size and moving my RAMdisk to the top of the memory).

cheers,
Mateusz