On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe I misunderstood you, but you seem intent to *only* run atop this
>>> new Intel Compute stick thingy. Have you never tried a bootable USB before?
>>
>> His stated intent is to run old DOS games on a cheap HD monitor with
>> the Compute Stick plugged into it.  A bootable USB drive requires a
>> computer to plug it into so you can boot from it.  The Compute Stick
>> *is* a bootable computer.
>
> Great, but so is the machine he's sending email from (which, more than
> likely, already has a BIOS).

Yep.  But what if that's not what he wants to use that computer for?
He's looking at a cheap, dedicated games device.

> Besides, he hasn't bought either the stick *or* the monitor yet!
> Surely he must've known that a simple bootable USB jump drive is
> easier to find and get working (and cheaper too).

I'm certain he does.  At the moment, he's exploring whether his notion
is doable.

The answer seems to be, if he gets one that boots Windows or Linux and
installs DOSBox, he can do it.  If he insists on using FreeDOS, he has
a problem because he may not be able to get it to boot due to the
Compute Stick design.
______
Dennis