On Jun 8, 2016 2:05 PM, "Bret Johnson" <bretj...@juno.com> wrote:

> This actually sounds similar to a problem I was having with FreeDOS,
which I needed to work around in my programs.  In my case, the problem is
actually with how FreeDOS allocates memory.  I don't know for sure if this
is the same thing or not, but it could be related.

> In my particular case, the problem occurs when I try to install a TSR in
CONFIG.SYS using the INSTALL= option.  FreeDOS installs its code, including
the code it needs to return to when it's done "installing" my TSR, at the
top of conventional memory.  In and of itself this is not a problem.  But,
the memory that the FreeDOS kernel uses is simply used without actually
being allocated (there is no MCB to prevent other programs from trying to
use the same memory).

This should be fixed (or at least better) in an upcoming kernel later this
year.  If you could direct me to one of your programs that works with
MS-DOS but not FD kernel that I can test with, I would appreciate it.
Given Tom's email, I gather this is a different but similar issue though.

Jeremy