On 7/15/2016 5:32 PM, Jose Antonio Senna wrote:
>    This said, I also admit browsing from DOS
>   is going to be less and less practical.
>   Lynx 2.8.5 supports HTTPS (and is the only
>   tried DOS browser which does), but I cannot
>   access Wikipedia with it, because the
>   algorithms they use (or so they said).
>   Not that they care.
>    Newer versions of Lynx may have wider
>   HTTPS capabilities, but they are really
>   *nix programs, depending on so much extra
>   code that they shall probably never run
>   in a 386.
https is only one issue, the general use/switch to HTML5 with all the
multi-media and forms features (negating the need to have flash for a
lot of things) is probably a much bigger hurdle.

>    It shall be possible to write a browser "for DOS"
>   from scratch (possibly using only expanded
>   memory, so it may run even in a 8088, albeit
>   a fast one), but it will take so much skilled
>   effort that nobody is going to do it.
Good luck with that. It seems these days nobody can actually program
anything for DOS anymore.

As much as I like DOS and I think it can still be very useful for
example in embedded use, like on the Intel Quark based IoT boards,
(general) web browsing on DOS is just nonsense. Just use Linux for that
if you do  not want to use Windows and don't want to encumber yourself
with macOS (fka OS X) either...

Ralf

---