On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 21:08:03 -0400, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Jose Antonio Senna
> <jasse...@vivointernetdiscada.com.br> wrote:
>>
>>   This said, I also admit browsing from DOS
>>  is going to be less and less practical.
>>  Lynx 2.8.5 supports HTTPS (and is the only
>>  tried DOS browser which does),
>
> I'm pretty sure Links2 (non-lite version) can support HTTPS also.
>
> But if you try Links2 and it doesn't work well for you, I'm pretty
> sure the developer (mikulas) would still accept your feedback. He
> seems open to suggestions.
>
>>   It shall be possible to write a browser "for DOS"
>>  from scratch (possibly using only expanded
>>  memory, so it may run even in a 8088, albeit
>>  a fast one), but it will take so much skilled
>>  effort that nobody is going to do it.
>
> Honestly, I'd err more on the side of "nobody has those skills
> anymore" rather than pretending "if only we had more xyz" (money,
> developers, time, etc).

It's not a lack of skills. DOS is lacking third party drivers that exist
for modern OSs. However, something could still be written that ran on a
limited selection of hardware. DOS is lacking various libraries. However,
these libraries are still maintained, people know how they work, they
could be reimplemented. Anything that can be developed for Windows can be
developed for DOS, even if you have to reimplement Windows itself to get
there (although that would be the worse case scenario...)

The problem is what it means to be "a web browser." It's 25 years of
haphazard evolutionary design-by-commitee squared. An unmitigated
disaster. Nobody in their right mind would try to support all this crap
that never should have been in the first place. This is why there are very
few "fully-featured" browsers available for ANY OS that don't borrow a ton
of code from something else.