Hi,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Marti van Lin <martivan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just re-introducing my self.
>
> I have been part of this mailing list before, using FreeDOS on bare metal.
>
> Now I'm testing 1.2 Pre-something on VirtualBox.
>
> 1.2 looks pretty promising so far, yet I have a lot of questions.
>
> 1. No TCP suit works so far;

Try mTCP (with suitable packet driver; e.g. NE2000 or PCNTPK for QEMU or VBox):

1). http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/
2). http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=mtcp

There's various other apps listed here:

http://www.freedos.org/software/?cat=net

Another is Mateusz's PicoTCP (DOS), but there aren't many apps using that (yet):

http://picotcp4dos.sourceforge.net/

> 2. FDNPKG doesn't work ether so far;

Grab latest binary from SF.net (although if it already worked, you
could presumably get it to "update" itself). It uses Watt-32 (DJGPP).

1). http://fdnpkg.sourceforge.net/

2a). http://watt-32.net/
2b). http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/djgpp/current/v2tk/wat3222br6.zip
(not needed unless recompiling something)

> 3. I'm *not* a developper.

Actually, overall it might be better if you first read the wiki about
using VBox:

http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox

Or you can download premade virtual machine images (already configured
networking):

https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/

> All I am is a enthusiast FreeDOS guinea pig in VirtualBox.
>
> My goal is to test and make help FreeDOS 1.2 as good as the the complete
> FreeDOS 1.0 CD-distribution. FreeDOS 1.1. sucked big time IMO, due to
> the lack of additional package sets.

Which packages did you miss / need? There were much left off, yes, but
that's unavoidable (without more developers and volunteers and without
free-r licenses). What do you wish to download automatically that you
can't find on your own? (Games? Compilers? Drivers?)