Hi Dimitris and others,

as I received some (aggressive) corrections from Jack and Johnson:

Yes of course I can read manuals myself. The XMGR option /T0 means
'No "E820h" nor "E801h" requests.' so please try if the two HIMEMX
options /X (no int 15.e820 requests) and /NOABOVE16 (no int 15.e801
requests) options make things work even with HIMEMX :-) Remember to
update both the installer boot config and config on C: afterwards.

My excuses for guessing that A20 issues might be the problem here.
Jack's implicit suggestion that the BIOS has int 15 bugs is better.

replied to the other posting where somebody suggested that. I have
no opinion about which DOS brands should benefit from updating MBR.
But I wanted to warn about possible side effects of FDISK /MBR ...

Third topic: 486 often can NOT boot from CD-ROM, but the Smart Boot
Manager is pretty cool! It can be installed to a boot floppy which
then helps you to boot from CD-ROM, even without full BIOS support:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html

Now to reply to the other 486 related reactions on the mailing list:

I see that you have not been able to make SBM work on your 486 yet,
but there could still be some trick to make it work even there :-)

Also interesting that booting failed from FAT32 but not from FAT16:
It may also make a difference whether you use LBA or non-LBA for the
partition type. There also is a small chance that DOS and BIOS are
not agreeing about CHS geometry, although this should not happen. It
can be an idea to manually use SYS command line options to get boot
sectors for FAT32-LBA instead of FAT32-CHS or vice versa.

As far as I remember, our FAT16 boot sector auto-selects CHS or LBA.
As Louis wrote, the default FAT32 boot sector may need LBA and your
BIOS may be without LBA or with LBA bugs. Try SYS-ing FAT32 to CHS.

Cheers, Eric