Hi

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Dimitris,
>
> > So I did, with sys 3.6e - FreeDOS 1.2 pre floppy:
> >
> > sys c: /FORCE:CHS - system hangs on reboot
> > sys c: /FORCE:LBA , followed by sys CONFIG c:\kernel.sys FORCELBA=1
> > GLOBALENABLELBA=1
> >
> > - system tries to BOOT, hangs at Loading FreeDOS , the hard drive
> > works like mad until I hit control-alt-delete
>
> (and the same with SYS 2.6 and kernel 2042 with DISabled LBA)
>
> What if you use /FORCE:LBA but without any SYS CONFIG?

Hangs right after Loading FreeDOS, hard drive works like mad

> And of course: What if you use SYS 3.6e but with some
> older version of the kernel?

sys 3.6e with kernel 2031 hangs at BIOS summary

> If the system hangs on reboot with the CHS boot sector,
> it is possible that your FAT32 boot partition either is
> outside the CHS-reachable area or that the MBR, BIOS and
> DOS disagree about what the CHS geometry should be. But:
>
> On the other hand, you wrote that kernel 2031 boots for
> you with SYS 2.6, while SYS 2.6 always uses CHS on FAT32!
>
> Note that SYS 3.6e also lets you use force options for
> the BIOS disk number. In case something gets confused
> by your relatively large collection of connected disks.

I retried sys c: from the 2031 bootdisk and it failed to boot, hanging at
floppy, did the same thing, and it booted. Tried again with sys 3.6e, hang
again, tried again with sys 2.6, was able to boot again.

Since I now have a bootable C: drive, can't we just compare the working
MBR/boot sector with the non working one?

Cheers,

Dimitris