Less than 256 bytes of code.

Over 2 Megabytes of controversy.

Shame on you Mateusz!

:-)

All joking aside, from what I gather, your bsum is only meant to verify local
files were copied correctly from one machine to another. Most forms of
checksums should be sufficient for that task.

Sure a collision is possible. More bits in the checksum reduces the
possibility. But even with a SHA 256 hash, the chance of accidental collision
is so remote as to be zero. It is still theoretically possible.

How sure do you need to be? Well, you could be absolutely sure by coping them
over then back. Then doing a byte level comparison between the original and the
copy of a copy.  But why? Now as for a man in the middle of your two
machines... Even that check could be thwarted by a crafty attacker.

So, I assume that the checking done by you bsum is the exact level of certainty
you desire. Sure enough.

Jerome