On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:24:56 -0500, Rugxulo wrote:
> My problem with always explicitly saying "short" is that it's both
> unnecessary and verbose.

Apparently not so "unnecessary" after all, if one really wants to use a
short jump, and not some other contraption.

> What disassembler are you using here? I erroneously thought it was
> NDISASM.

I don't use ndisasm for a very trivial reason - I am unable to redirect
its output to a file, so I don't really know how other people use it, and
I didn't figure out any quick and easy workaround (again, too stupid).

The output I pasted before was copied from the NASM listing (-l). And
although I do look at the listing carefully, I do not bother decoding the
opcodes by hand (too lazy!), I assume that the assembler knows how to
encode mnemonics into opcodes - that's his job after all, not mine.
Ultimately, whether the code is assembled into a "long, 5-byte form of
jump" or "two separate instructions that emulate a jump" is irrelevant to
me - in both cases it's still 5 bytes, that all I need to know.

> The simple answer is that code size is rarely as important as programmer
> convenience.

Maybe. But why bother doing assembly then, if not for the control over
what machine code is generated at the end?

Mateusz