Hi John,
I personally think that 16k is the correct bearable amount of memory veach
should be allowed to use, especially considering the large number of files
it can sort already, as you clarified. Never found myself sorting a larger
number of files within a directory, but in some cases maybe, I used FOR
with a larger number of text strings within a file, to exec commands like
echo, type, call, replace.

Although usually, I'm not running out of ram, and wasting 64k wouldn't make
any difference most of times, a 16k eating utility will always look more
attractive and versatile to any user (just my opinion). I would tolerate
32-64k if it were some sort of larger program: maybe a TSR, able to process
user's input or sort files changing in a given directory, and possibly exec
batch files and commands consequently.

All things considered, as you stated, FOR and veach are different utilities
and attempting to use FOR  to reproduce all the functions you designed your
program for, sounds to me like a forced workaround.
I don't think using for excludes veach and viceversa :), as they're
designed 'mainly' to accomplish different tasks.

Perhaps when I'll have the chance to make use of your program and deepen
it's knowledge, I might post further feedback

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Paolo

On 1 Aug 2017 14:43, "Jerome Shidel" <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

Hello Paolo,

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 6:37 AM, Paolo Vincenzo Olivo <pv...@outlook.it> wrote:
>
> Hi Jerome,
> I've just tried your veach.com utility and it looks like it shall really
> come in handy! I was missing a program capable of appending a command to a
> sorted list (like a  |   in Unix ) .
> Nice job, and thanks for your effort

Thank you.

Just like you, I would find myself either doing some things the long way
because
there was just no easy way to do X on a list of things. Wether that list
was some
generic things I wanted to run through a program or something more complex.

Besides, what other utility will let suicidally run every program in a
directory with a
simple “veach /d *.* /c /x”  command? :-)

I could have really used veach in FDI. But, I didn’t require it. With all
the ASCIIZ
string juggling and parsing it would need to do, I procrastinated making
it. But alas,
I finally got to it.

Just a note on veach, I restricted its memory usage to 16KB maximum for the
CODE + DATA + STACK. That leaves roughly 11K for list items. That should be
plenty for most things. After all, a directory list would use 6-18 bytes
per item. That
would allow for approximately 625+ directory items before getting the “Out
of Memory”
error. Since unused memory is freed, this would have no effect on the memory
consumed by smaller lists. So, I may just increase the limit to 32 or 64K.

At some point, I will probably add a /U switch to de-duplicate items. You
could run
into duplicate items with a command like “veach /d *.bmp /d abc.* /x resize
* /scale 50%”
If there was an abc.bmp, it would be shrunk twice.

Jerome