Hi Ercan, Bill, others,

The main question probably is WHY: If you port the kernel
to another platform (I think we even once had a 68000 one)
you would also have to port any app that you want to use,
starting with command.com - For both together, you already
need a few 100 kB of RAM which is not available in most
microcontrollers. Next you would need a nice display, while
people tend to use microcontrollers with at most a bit of
LCD or OLED or just a serial port. And of course a keyboard
with a suitable interface to connect it. And a disk, where
you can store files, or at least a large space in flash...

If you ask me, this sounds a lot more like raspberry than
arduino. And given that you can get a raspberry zero with
HDMI screen output and USB for keyboard and flash sticks
for roughly 10 USD, there is not much reason to go smaller.

While raspberry already is SO powerful that you can even
put Linux on it, install DOSEMU in it and run classic x86
FreeDOS with classic DOS apps in the emulation window :-)

About the challenge of making a DOS install very SMALL, you
can check RayeR and his ROMOS where he put a small version
of the FreeDOS kernel and a simple alternative command.com
variant together in some free space in a PC BIOS chip :-)

But then, mainboards with pre-installed tiny Linux & browser
exist as well: The idea is to be online at once without having
to boot the normal operating system from disk. Hibernate and
SSD of modern PC sort of pushed such BIOS goodies out again.

Regards, Eric