Hi! Harvard Architecture with separate program and data memory does NOT mean that you suddenly can get 640k x86 DOS performance out of a simple controller with 8k RAM. Sorry guys, this is total wishful thinking. But because you again mention the serial port UART: Maybe you want to write a port of the SERIAL PORT TERMINAL with ANSI ESCAPE support built in (so no ANSI.SYS driver needed).

ANSI terminal support doesn't problem. Because, ANSI terminal library program applications exist for Arduino.

Somebody already made a BIOS version of that for x86 and it fits into 8 kilobytes. The DOS version fits into only 4 kilobytes on disk. Note that 80x25 chars of color text already need 4 kilobytes of graphics card RAM, but most displays for microcontrollers have that built in ;-)

https://www.auersoft.eu/soft/ (terminal-*.* 2001 to 2007)

FreeDOS Arduino Port doesn't have to graphics. For managing shell, we can use only a UART on Arduino. We needn't 8k RAM for managing standard input, standard output and standard error.

For FreeDOS Arduino Port needs major source code changes.

No it needs goal changes. Think about the system requirements to have a complete DOS with kernel and command.com and think whether you find any Arduino with at least 10% of the power, then think what would happen to DOS if you cut away 90% :-p

For developing FreeDOS Arduino Port, we should remove device drivers that are manage missing device on Arduino. For example, device driver of floppy disk remove for this port. For more examples, we should remove hard disk device driver, CD-R device driver, PATA device driver.

Also, this port needn't complex memory manager and ISO9660 file system driver.

Examples are reproducible.

At least, Arduino's have a UART. Standard input, standard output and
standard error can direct to UART. For this reason, FreeDOS on Arduino
can control by a terminal emulator (for example PuTTY)...

Of course it would be easy to program most microcontrollers to
output the string "C:\>" on UART, but that is NOT the same as
putting DOS on it. DOS really needs a lot more power than that.

I know this. But, FreeDOS Arduino Port don't need C: for storage, it needs A: and B: generally. A: for flash memory on microcontroller, B: for SD card.

Flash memory device driver and SD card device driver is simpler than floppy disk device driver, hard disk device driver and PATA device driver.

Best regards,
Ercan