Hi again,

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Kevin McCormick <kev4...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> I have created several bootable usb sticks with syslinux and FreeDOS, but
>> they enter the FreeDOS Setup menu when they are booted.

Usually you press F5 to skip startup files (or single-step via F8).
IIRC, that depends upon not using "SWITCHES=/F /N" in CONFIG.SYS
(which saves a few seconds at bootup if you don't need the delay).

> In theory, I could make you a minimal 64 MB .img from a bootable
> FreeDOS jump drive (which would .ZIP to less than 1 MB). You could
> then low-level copy it onto larger drives, but it would only see 64 MB
> of space (presumably plenty for BIOS data??).

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/metados-0.6-on-64mb-jump-drive.zip

I reformatted my (really old) jump drive with RUFUS (and its own
minimal FreeDOS install) atop Win7. But I deleted those few files and
just unpacked the metados.img via 7z. I also commented out SWITCHES,
as mentioned above, in FDCONFIG.SYS. So you'll probably still need to
press F5 at bootup. Since this is the vanilla MetaDOS image, full
sources are available in the same subdir on iBiblio. It's not a lot of
files, so it takes up (roughly) 1 MB ZIP'd.

For some odd reason, it never boots correctly on this Lenovo desktop,
but I also tested it successfully on my Dell laptop. Some obscure
partition error, but it's probably not worth worrying about. Just try
it, and see what happens. At worst, you waste a whole minute doing
(while unmounted) "cat metados*.img | pv > /dev/sdd" (or whatever).