Kevin McCormick composed on 2018-04-06 08:58 (UTC-0500):

> I subscribed to this list because I am having a lot of trouble making a
> simple dos usb stick to upgrade my computer bios.  It is appalling that
> the my motherboard manufacturer does not have the tools for linux (or
> windows for that matter) and the AMI bios is equally appalling.
> However, I really don't want to buy another motherboard.

> I have no trouble installing freedos into a qemu virtual disk, or making
> a bootable usb stick, but I don't know how to get around the freedos
> setup routine and just have the functionality of a dos boot floppy.
> Basically, I think I want to copy the necessary "base" files onto the
> usb stick and have the needed /sys files.  I believe that is enough for
> the bios flash to work.

> The motherboard is MSI 7677 E61 (B3) mini-tx intel socket 1155.

You don't need a bootable USB stick. Any FAT USB stick Windows can read will do,
because all the stick needs to have on it is the unpacked new BIOS. The way I
read https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H61IE35_B3#down-bios the BIOS will
read the stick to find the new BIOS and install it if you simply follow the
instructions on:

https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/How_to_flash_the_BIOS.pdf

IOW, you *don't* need *any* bootable OS to be able to Flash the MSI BIOS. I have
a B85 MSI. All I had to do was put the new BIOS on a stick, go into BIOS setup,
and follow my nose.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/