Excerptfrom dmccunney:

> > MS isn't the only vendor of a DOS-compatible OS. DR-DOS and ROM-DOS
> > are still sold online. (Do OS/2 variants also count? Maybe.)

> Which OS/2 variants?  The one I'm aware of is eComStation,
> https://www.ecomstation.com/.  The outfit that makes it got the rights
> from IBM, and essentially services accounts that still have
> substantial OS/2 deployments, and it's cheaper and easier to try to
> continue to use OS/2 than migrate to a different architecture.
> (Stardock, who does stuff like the Window Blinds and Object Desktop
> enhancements for Windows, developed under OS/s, and tried to get the
> rights from Microsoft but were unsuccessful.  Not sure what they might
> have done if they were able to get the rights, but support for 32 bit
> apps would have been a major improvement for the OS.  Not supporting
> 32 bit Windows apps effectively killed it.)

There is a new commercial OS/2 variant now, ArcaOS from arcanoae.com .

32-bit, no 64-bit, no GPT, no refund it it doesn't work.

Website says they use network drivers from FreeBSD, bit in that case, surely
one is better off using FreeBSD rather than ArcaOS.  OS/2
successors/descendants have fallen far behind.

There is also an osFree at osfree.org or github.com/osfree-project/osfree/ .
Progress is glacially slow, maybe they'll have something (relevant? probably
not) by year 4000.

Peripherally on-topic for this list since it relates to descendants of DOS, but
we don't want to clutter this list by pursuing this side-topic too deeply.

Tom