From: andrew fabbro <and...@fabbro.org>
Date: 9/26/2019  08:52  (GMT-06:00)
To: "Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS."
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: p...@lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Source code to Windows 9x and ME...

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 6:36 AM Michael C Robinson <mich...@robinson-west.com>
wrote:
Is it possible to get the source code to Windows 9x and ME since

Microsoft isn't supporting it anymore?

One would want to get the source code and then open source it of

course.  Even Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11 is closed source.  Surely,

Microsoft could release pre 9x Windows?  It wouldn't hurt Microsoft at

all since Windows

is squarely NT based now where many modern systems won't even support

DOS let alone DOS based Windows.  I realize it would probably be very

expensive to get Microsoft to cough up the source code, but has anyone

even looked into this?
 "It wouldn't hurt Microsoft" is not exactly a true statement.
Major reasons MSFT won't be releasing source code like that:
(1) Some components are still in use.  Microsoft does not rewrite their OS from
scratch with each new version and while Windows 10 is very different than
Windows Me, it's still an x86 OS.
(2) There may be pieces they licensed or are under others' copyrights.  Sorting
that out is non-trivial.  This is true especially of things like drivers.
(3) Source code often reveals the inner workings of companies and products.
It's not unusual to see things like "we put this in because our other product
has a bug and we have to compensate" and comments like that.  Not to mention
profanity :-)
(4) Many times old source code hides other embarrassing (or semi-embarrassing)
secrets.  There was a leak of Windows 2000 many years ago and I read that it
had comments such as "(some app) breaks here so we put in this workaround to
maintain compatibility with previous versions".  This would inevitably lead to
all kinds of press about favoring different vendors, etc.
(5) And the big one...where's the money in releasing old source code?  It takes
lawyers, tech people, etc. and likely would cost a fair amount of money just to
package it up.

BTW, Microsoft has (or at least at one time had) various programs where
universities had access to the source code, but that was under NDA.
--
andrew fabbroand...@fabbro.org