As far as DOS being out of the loop, I was young and not yet interested in the
technical details when Win9x (including ME) was still a going concern, but my
understanding in more recent years as to why Win9x was so unstable has been
that whether or not DOS proper was in control of the system, there was still
data and code down in conventional memory that would cause windows to crash if
it was scribbled over, and that data was mapped in the lower megabyte of every
process, even Win32 processes, so that a buggy application could nuke the whole
system. From what I understand, Win9x was basically a Win16 implementation
(including a DPMI server) and Win32 was basically implemented as a DPMI client
TSR that provided the Win32 API to applications, and then called the Win16 API
as the actual backend to draw stuff on screen (thus the GDI heap exhaustion
problem). Is that more or less correct?
As for the worth of having Win16 vs Win9x as a whole open sourced, I agree.
Win16 was quite a pile of crap itself, but there aren't a lot of options
available for running applications that were only released for that platform
available today. Both NTVDM and Wine have so-so implementations of it, and it
would be good to have a source release of original Microsoft code that
dedicated retrocomputing projects could use to create their own modern
implementations. But there are implementations of Win32 under active
development today that are of much higher quality than what Win9x provided,
both proprietary (Win10), and open source (Wine), so open sourcing Win9x in its
entirety is a very low priority. Open sourcing the Win16 implementation in
Win9x might be worthwhile just to have a broad spectrum of Win16
implementations (Win3, Win9x, NTVDM) for retrocomputing projects to use as
example code, but FreeDOS provides a better DOS implementation than Win9x does,
and Win10 and Wine provide better Win32 implementations.