From their recent behavior, I think it's quite likely that there is at least a
faction within the company that thinks the hassle is worth it, and that is
quite possibly the settled internal doctrine of the company. From what I've
heard about Microsoft's revenue from Windows, they are mostly making money off
of enterprise support contracts, much like Red Hat does with THE (though unlike
Red Hat, I think that they arrived in that position more or less accidentally),
so given the bad reputation they acquired in their early years, I think they're
finding it advantageous to move towards an open-source business model to shore
up their reputation. That doesn't mean they're going to just up and open source
all the things tomorrow, of course, but I think in the future we can expect to
see more releases of old code, and I think it's quite likely that at some point
in the medium term they may very well do one or more of the following:
1) Open source the NT kernel2) Open source their Win32 implementation3)
Transition Windows to using the Linux kernel by one of the following methods
(compare the way that Novell transitioned away from the Netware kernel):3a)
Making significant donations of code to the Wine project, then announcing a
version of Windows with the option to either use NT/WSL or Linux/Wine to
provide a combined Win32/Unix API.3b) Developing a proprietary implementation
of Win32 that runs on top of Linux and announcing a version of Windows that
presents the option to either use NT/WSL or Linux/"LSW".
Before you laugh too hard at option 3, bear in mind that MS is really the only
holdout in the industry using their own kernel API rather than a Unix
implementation. Every other OS in common use, even if its middleware is
proprietary (MacOS, Android/Google Play), uses some sort of *nix kernel.
Furthermore, Win32 was designed with portability across radically different
kernels in mind (DOS vs NT), so the transition to running on top of Linux would
not be an especially difficult one (and has already been implemented in Wine) .
So even if MS's overtures toward open source are just fig leaves for PR rather
than an actual change in philosophy, I think the chance of a transition to an
open *nix kernel is fairly significant. In 10 or 15 years, it may well be that
the standard application environment will be Win32/Linux rather than Win32/NT
or Gnu/X/Linux.