I was under the impression an external USB floppy wouldn't work under
FreeDOS 1.3, but I just noticed my installation of FreeDOS 1.3 on a circa
2011 Gateway laptop with an external USB Chuanganzhuo floppy does work.

I'm not sure what driver FreeDOS is using on the Gateway, but if I plug the
floppy into my HP Windows 10 laptop, it says it's a TEAC USB UF1000x USB
device using a default Windows sfloppy.sys driver. It was plug-n-play. I
didn't install any drivers on either laptop.

I didn't buy this floppy drive for FreeDOS. My main FreeDOS machine has a
builtin floppy drive. I bought it to read some old floppies on my HP
Windows 10 laptop.

--
It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.