On 11/15/2020 6:27 AM, Marv wrote:
I was under the impression an external USB floppy wouldn't work under FreeDOS 1.3, but I just noticed my installationĀ of FreeDOS 1.3 on a circa 2011 Gateway laptop with an external USB Chuanganzhuo floppy does work.

I'm not sure what driver FreeDOS is using onĀ the Gateway, but if I plug the floppy into my HP Windows 10 laptop, it says it's a TEAC USB UF1000x USB device using a default Windows sfloppy.sys driver. It was plug-n-play. I didn't install any drivers on either laptop.

I didn't buy this floppy drive for FreeDOS. My main FreeDOS machine has a builtin floppy drive. I bought it to read some old floppies on my HP Windows 10 laptop.

I am using USB floppy drives to exchange data between my Windows PC(s) and my FreeDOS box(es). They work just fine on all of my DOS machine as long as it floppy drive is connected when the machine is turned on. The BIOS of all machines in this case (2x Dell, 1x Compaq) just presents it as a standard 3.5" floppy drive. Hot swap of course doesn't work, but that hasn't really bothered me at all so far...

Ralf