Hi Marv,

> I'm not sure what driver FreeDOS is using on the Gateway, but if I plug the
> floppy into my HP Windows 10 laptop, it says it's a TEAC USB UF1000x USB

FreeDOS does not use any USB driver by default, as far as I know.

So you probably have USB storage device support in your BIOS and
FreeDOS simply enjoys using the BIOS disk :-) In particular after
booting from it, or when having it already connected during boot.

Note that sizes other than 1.44 MB or low level formatting might
not be working in your BIOS USB floppy support, but you can try.

Regards, Eric