Hi Eric,

> I would strip DJGPP-on-ISO to the minimal C, maybe C++ infrastructure
> (not sure what BN, BS, DB, FQ, FX, GC, GP, MK, OB, RH, TX are, would

>From "FD13LIVE.ISO\PACKAGES\DEVEL\INDEX.LST":
djgpp_bn        2.21.1  DJGPP binutils: linker, assembler, etc...       65b9df0a
djgpp_bs        2.4.1   DJGPP Bison (a parser generator that is compatible with
YACC)   ac9be808
djgpp_db        7.5     DJGPP Debugger (GDB)    facd0d92
djgpp_fq        2.30    DJGPP FAQ documentation bbb38562
djgpp_fx        2.5.4   DJGPP Flex (fast lexical analyzer generator)    eaeafdc3
djgpp_gc        4.71    DJGPP GCC (C compiler)  3d2f4b32
djgpp_gp        4.71    DJGPP GPP (C++ compiler)        4cdae694
djgpp_mk        3.79.1  DJGPP make      64f0fd12
djgpp_ob        4.71    DJGPP Objective-C compiler      2a8503e3
djgpp_rh        1.5     DJGPP RHIDE editor      71ed74d1
djgpp_tx        4.12    DJGPP Texinfo (info file viewer)        261693f1

Not that hard...

> TPPATCH is both small and really useful (runtime error fixer for
> Borland compiled binaries which crash on too fast CPU, I believe?)

But its license is unclear, because so far we didn't find a way to
contact the author Andreas Bauer.

>> *Emulators:*
>> These are basically games.
>
> Worse, they are infrastructure to run games, lacking the games.
> And they are pretty specialized, so I would move them to online.

+1

>> *Networking:*
>> Feedback is to keep the networking packages. I'm not sure about Gopherus,
>> but it's "retro" and not too big (2MB) so I have no problems keeping it.
>
> That is larger than expected - make Gopherus EXTRA / ONLINE?
>
>> *to keep:* arachne crynwr curl dillo dwol e1000pkt e100pkt ethtools fdnet
>> gopherus htget links lynx m2wat mskermit mtcp newsnuz ntool picosntp
>> picotcp ping rsync ssh2dos sshdos vmsmount vncview wattcp wget
>>
>> *added from Utilities:* terminal
>
> Hey that reminds me that FileMaven3 offers serial port file transfer :-)
> Do we have other "file link" type of in-house computer connector tools?

Nothing FLOSS, but some freeware:
<https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=13783>

>> Programs that I think are no longer needed and should be dropped
>> include gifsicle (manipulates GIF images) and Hide In Picture
>> (steganography program that hides files inside pictures).
>
> Correct.

As the "maintainer" of the DOS port of Gifsicle: That's okay.

>> Also could remove PasswordBox, since a password manager on DOS has
>> limited usefulness
>
> Oh yes.

No. Then we could also remove FreeBASIC, because *I* don't use it.
Funny note: PasswordBox is written in FreeBASIC.

With some changes one could make it his personal secret diary.

pdTree is listed on <http://reimagery.com/fsfd/dirutil.htm>.

>> Also drop the utilities (4dos paint2 start) that have license concerns.
>
> That is disappointing regarding 4DOS. Not sure about PAINT2.

Maybe doing a new FLOSS paint program would be an idea for newly joined
Aniket.

> And start - no idea. Regarding the checksum tools, we could
> use a few fresh algorithms for those, beyond MD5, SHA1 etc.
> I guess DAA2ISO is useful for some virtual machines? DZEMM
> still is only useful for Windows as far as I know :-p

'DAA2ISO is a program for converting the DAA and GBI files ("Direct
Access Archive" used by PowerISO and gBurner) to standard ISO.'

As the "maintainer" of the DOS port of DAA2ISO: Drop it.

Cheers,
Robert
--
              +++ BTTR Software +++