G'day Bryan,

>> That would of course be the EASIEST option as long as your PC
>> and your printer both still have Centronics connectivity
>
> The PC does, but the printer doesn't. Hm, I found the following.
> {USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable
>
>     USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable
>
> USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable
> CAT.NO:XC4847
> Parallel printer ports have disappeared from most modern desk top
> computers and virtually all new notebook computers. This is not a problem}
> https://www.jaycar.com.au/usb-to-parallel-bi-directional-cable/p/XC4847

That sounds more like a cable for printers which have
Centronics and PC which have none. You would need the
other way round, but I think that would not help much.

Probably better to use network or USB :-)

Let us see what others say about your network chip in DOS.
Note that if your printer is of the GDI variety, you will
not be able to print from DOS *at all* without adding a
computer with GDI drivers as translator between your DOS
computer and your printer. If the printer understands
a language for which you have a DOS tool which speaks
it, such as HP PCL, ESC/P, PostScript, PDF or plain
text, you CAN print directly from DOS as soon as you
find a way to send data through suitable communication
channels between the two: Network drivers and netcat
or MS CLIENT, USB drivers and TYPE, COPY or similar?

Regards, Eric

PS: We have GhostScript for PostScript processing and
our "print screen hotkey" TSR exist for HP PCL, ESC/P
and PostScript output. We have PDF viewers and it might
be possible to use GhostScript to create PDF? Not sure.
Some text editors also have built-in output converters.