Maybe those legacy editors are still around in discussion because of their
„paradigmas“ they created
around editing text on a computer. Editor „Brief“ refers maybe besides other
features to „incremental“ Home / End Keys (e.g. first HOME press moves caret to
Start-Of-Line, a second press moves the caret a line up, till Start-of-File) or
more in general to key commands which became models for period of time for many
editors. Just like  the Wordstar „diamond“ arrow subtitution
right/left/up/down, which actually is not ideal. Other combintations CTL-q,
CTL-O, CLT-K like „groups“ of commands can be found in many editors of that
time. It is strange that so many similar approaches were just recreated and
„cloned“. (The discussed usefullnes of "h j k l“ navigating keys in vim is well
known.)

 Interesting to me in all this is the connection (or lack of) between hardware
- i.e. the keyboard layout - and the software (control keys, greykeys etc.).
Usability and ergonomy has been sacrified for a much to broad scope of uses and
- marketing.

The Atari keyboard „middle block“ has its own design:

HELP      |  Undo
————————————————————————
Insert | up |  Clr Home
————————————————————————
left   | dwn| right

Maybe this is somewhat a progress to have a dedicated UNDO-key or HELP-key? Or
was it just to be „different“, like the bumps on old Apple keys on „d“ and „k“
instead of „f“ and „j“? Hard to say one is better then the other. We only
became „locked into“ a system in the last 50 years.

So each and every text editor (especially those) provokes a quasi-religious
attitude of the user
towards the computer and its behaviour. Adding pull-down menues or calling the
menue by pressing F10 or F1 for Help… Most of these conventions are gone
because of the ubiquity of the mouse or touchpad.
I find it surprising to use „Mouskeys“ in DOS editors which probably never
where thought to be used with the mouse.

Besides inventive features or approaches in design of the software itself me
personally, I am looking for an optimal workflow combining keyboard/mouse and
software with what I want do with the editor. (Not programming)
Coding / „Programming“ is definitely different from prose writing. The first
uses much more line breaks, Tabs, pairs of parenthesis, for example. Maybe also
more going back and forth from one spot to another and back again etc. than the
letter, where you have to be able to quickly correct typos on the fly.

Printing, which has been such a killer issue, has become IMHO much less
important lately, as most text feed into the web (blogs) or Emails. PDF as the
main currency. Word’s doc format unfortunately is asked nearly in every domain
as the common denominator. Be green - use your screen!

Designing a *complete* system for editing text must include the actual keyboard
layout, dedicated keys, the pointing device, the editor software (yeah), and
the… operating system. All need to finally feed into the „ergonomic“ aspect
(key-chording in legacy Emacs can in bad cases lead to injury of the hands),
free the unnecessary mental load (editing prose in vi/vim having in mind which
mode one is in, is mindf**k). The two paradigma Emacs/Vi(m) are rather similar
in contrast to the ACME and SAM editors, using the three button mouse.

And just to mention it, there once was Jef Raskin's „Canon Cat“. His paradigma
of „all is text“ (like Rob Pike’s ACME?) but denying the use of the mouse in
favour of a copyrighted „Leap“ key, which basically is Emacs’ search-command.
Gaining seconds but asking the user to retype typos in order to move the caret
to that spot. It is amazing how these geniuses were somewhat wrong in
predicting the future despite the objective superiority of their concepts.
Raskin’s work (Swyft card, THE, ARCHY) dove into oblivion.

Rob Pike in 1991 wrote an article (
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/1st_edition/help/help.pdf ) which is still worth
reading. Let me quote: "Where will we be ten years from now? CRT’s will be a
thing of the past, multimedia will no longer be a buzzword, pen-based and voice
input will be everywhere, and university students will still be editing with
emacs. Pens and touchscreens are too low-bandwidth for real interaction; voice
will probably also turn out to be inadequate. (Anyway, who would want to work
in an environment surrounded by people talking to their computers?) Mice are
sure to be with us a while longer, so we should learn how to use them well.“

Did he say „ten years“? 1991 is now thirty years ago…

He didn’t speak about tablets/smartphones - but have you tried working with
text editing on a touch-screen? Orrrgh.

Today one can easily realize one’s own design of a keyboard, or have extra
special macro keyboards, or pointing devices like roller mouse, trackpad, magic
mouse etc.
Still the software lacks enormously, especially for text editing in prose.
Sound’s pretensiously silly, I know.
But, Keyboard Commands seem for many people old fashioned and awkward in Text
editing, navigating, working with the system.  It’s all absurdly bloated, even
the computer system is enormous.

Looking back at those thoughts, designs and ideas of thirty+ years ago, using
DOS, trying out maybe Plan9 (hmm…?) is worthwhile to get an idea that there is
more to computing than windows, linux or MacOS, more than MS-Word. This can
only achieved if the software enters a status of „oldtimer“, like with cars in
Europe, where after a while the whole issue of individual rights might of
design ideas become „open source“ out of public interest. This might be very
Un-American, right, I am writing from an European perspective.

-Thomas

PS: The VDE Editor is nice and still active and sort of public domain…
https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home