>> Another one is that MKEYB doesn't
>> report itself correctly as a "standard" keyboard driver to other
>> programs which can cause some compatibility problems.

> no one complained so far. ever. in 15+ years.

Well, then consider this your first complaint.  I don't use MKEYB for this and
other reasons.

> how would this report look like?

Look at RBIL, INT 2F.AD80 and related calls.

As Aitor alluded to, KEYB interacts with the various other things in DOS
(COUNTRY, DISPLAY, CHCP, NLSFUNC, ...).  If KEYB doesn't report itself through
that mechanism the other DOS functions may not work correctly.  But, it's
usually only a problem if you try to switch between languages or keyboard
layouts or code pages on the same computer, which very few people do.

It's also a problem for other programs (including other TSR's) that need to
know the current keyboard layout for some reason (which some of mine do).