On 20/11/2021 18:25, Jim Hall wrote:
That's not to say that FreeDOS is perfect. For the life of me, I cannot get the Wolfenstein 3D installer (1wolf14.zip) to run on FreeDOS. Even with nothing loaded, INSTALL.EXE aborts with "Runtime error 200 at 0774:0091"

Does not sound like a FreeDOS problem, but rather a variation of the CRT "CPU too fast" bug, where a division by 0 occurs because the CPU is so fast it executed all timing loops without any noticeable time passing.

Have you tried slowing down your PC? There is a lot of tools that can help with that. Sometimes the binary can be also patched (the TPP patch worked for me on the Jazz Jackrabbit game eons ago).

http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/system.htm#oldprogs

Mateusz