On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 11:13:45AM +0100, Eric Auer wrote:

> Hi! There is a thread about freedos game compatibility on BTTR,
> started by liljames2k:
>
> https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=18483
>
> Zyzzle suggested making sure that all DOS extenders are in PATH
> (not sure why Zyzzle said DPMI extenders) but in any case, I do
> think Commander Keen 6 works in FreeDOS :-) So not sure what is
> going wrong here. Note that 6 GB RAM is quite a lot and that half
> of the errors are about not finding files. I have sorted the BTTR
> table by type of error. Maybe some of you can share their experience
> regarding the use of any of those games? Maybe you remember which
> trick to use. I could imagine that some of them use DOS4GW and run
> into some problem with too new hardware and work better with DOS32A?

1. Any attempt to run any old game -- if you mean "testing FreeDOS
 compatibility" -- should be done on "legacy hardware". For simplicity
 let's say "the motherboard should feature at least one ISA slot". If you
 mean testing sound: it should be done using ISA soundcard, inserted exactly
 in that (single?) ISA slot.

If anyone is using newer hardware -- e.g. PCI-only -- you'll never 100%
 know "is it FreeDOS or hardware-related issue".

2. Not being that busy with playing computer games anymore, from what I see
 on the list there is "Comanche" listed as "non-working" (because of
 Jemmex). I tested Comanche as working on my Soyo mobo -- I don't recall
 this moment does is cooperate with Jemmex or I used any other memory
 manager. But this is the point: FreeDOS is one thing -- and its "ecosystem"
 is another thing. So there may be a problem related to Jemmex in
 particular, not being actually any FreeDOS-related issue

--
regards,
Zbigniew