On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 at 21:21, tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> while technically true, it couldn't just multitask ramdom DOS programs
> as multi tasking systems like OS/2 or better always could.

Yes, it can. I have tested it with, for example, the MS-DOS Editor
from Windows 98SE on one screen, WordPerfect 6.2 on another screen and
MS Word 6 on a third screen.

> programs would only multitask if specifically written to the DRDOS API
> - which almost nobody did (for commercial avalable software).

This is not true.

You said, quote:

> > it wasn't a sanctioned release from microsoft.

Don't try to revise this now.

Yes, there have been fully-sanctioned releases of MS-DOS from
Microsoft. As I said: 1.25, and a set of source files containing a mix
of 2.0 and 2.11 source code.

Yes, there are *two* fully legal source code releases of MS-DOS from
Microsoft itself.

> MSDOS 2.11 might be interesting from a museum/historic prespective.
> as an operating system it's completely obsolete and useless, and you will not
> learn
> much by studying the source code.

This is true but an entirely different question which had not
previously been discussed in this thread.

Sure, yes, MS-DOS 2 is ancient and no real use now.

However, you said that MS had not released DOS and that's wrong.

You did not say "MS did not release the final version of DOS as FOSS",
or "MS did not release a late enough version of MS-DOS to be useful."
Those statements are true, but they aren't what you said.

No, it's not really much use. Yes, it's only an archaeological
curiosity. MS is not truly any friend or fan of FOSS and it only
releases tiny useless dribs and drabs of FOSS code, such as DOS 1 and
2, Word for Windows 1.1, the Windows 3 File Manager and a few other
trivial little things. That is because, IMHO, it's just a PR exercise.

Today, the entire DOS and Windows 3/9x codebase is basically entirely
obsolete and the company does not sell any products based on it. It
*could* release everything prior to the Windows NT line with no
substantial impact on any current product.

However, this would cost it money. The code is probably a mess, and it
contains material from third parties which would have to be removed. A
large cleanup operation would be needed, which would take dozens of
people maybe years of work, and MS stands to gain nothing from it.

However, it would help FreeDOS, and WINE, and ReactOS, and several
other FOSS projects, which MS management almost certainly does not
want to do.

So, given it would benefit others but not the company, *and* it would
cost them serious money, I doubt it will happen.

So if you had said that it hadn't released any _useful_ version of
DOS, I'd agree. But you didn't say that. You said MS did not release
DOS, and that is wrong. It's there and it's legit.

> there's a LOT that happened between 2.11 (october 1983) and 6.22 (april 1994)

100% agree.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com