On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 at 19:25, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> Caldera's release of DR-DOS and OpenDOS was definitely NOT under an "open
> source" or "FOSS" license.

Caldera claimed it was. Here is the press announcement:
https://web.archive.org/web/19961018220910/http://caldera.com/news/pr002.html

> The terms were basically "look but do not touch." You could not make any
> derivatives from that source code, and could only refer to it for
> "educational" purposes.

That is a reasonable summary. The licences are here:
https://github.com/the-grue/OpenDOS/blob/master/README.TXT
https://github.com/the-grue/OpenDOS/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT

No, it's not compatible with any true FOSS licence.

But it *did* release the source -- I have a copy of the CD myself,
direct from the company. And people *did* make derivative products
from it, namely, the Open DR DOS Enhancement Project.

https://archiveos.org/drdos/

The last release was 10Y ago, in 2011.

Under the legal principle of laches, if DeviceLogics or DRDOS Inc
wanted to bring any legal action on the basis of this, it had plenty
of time -- a decade -- to do so. It has not. Nobody has.

Therefore, nobody now can.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laches_(equity)

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven